Chocolate dipped Walnut stuffed Dates

by Robyn on October 1, 2010

Deglet Noor dates stuffed with california walnuts and dipped halfway in chocolate

Delicious snack!

Friday afternoon treats – Dates with chocolate and walnuts. Simply put this is a pitted date stuffed with walnuts, then dipped in semi-sweet chocolate. If you use milk chocolate it will be too sweet. Dates are filled with natural sugars and don’t need any added sugars, however a dip in a bit of dark chocolate makes a nice simple treat. This is an all California treat too! California dates, chocolate made in California, and best of all, California Walnuts.

What’s really great is the nutritional analysis you can do: Date are high in potassium, higher even than bananas. Walnuts are heart healthy, sloughing crummy stuff from your veins as they are digested, and dark chocolate has also been shown to be heart healthy due to the antioxidants. The raising of endorphins always is a benefit too! So any way you want to spin this, these little morsels are a heart healthy snack! Much better than a candy bar and it tastes much like a snickers!

The great part is that they are so easy to make! The dates above are Deglet Noor dates. They are grown in the Coachella Valley in the desert of Southern California. They are grown by America’s largest date grower – Hadley’s Inc. I’m also showing you some Medjool Dates also grown in the Coachella Valley. They are grown by Oasis Date Gardens and they are organic. Not all Medjools are organic so if you want organic dates, buy from Oasis! Now that you’ve got the dates. You’re going to cut a slit in them, remove the pits and you’re ready to stuff them.

Dates with the pits removed along side some California walnut halves

Ready for a treat.

Grab a handful of California Walnuts. Why California? Well, they’re the best walnuts you can buy. And, I’m from California, it’s that be true to your school kind of thing you know. ;o)Β  Take a walnut and begin filling the walnut cavity. Fill it up nicely and squeeze the date around the walnuts to encase them. You still want a small amount of the walnuts peeking out though.

Now melt or temper some chocolate. Chop it up into small pieces and melt it in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Once your chocolate is melted, remove it from the heat, making sure to keep the water away from it. Place the bowl on a kitchen towel to help keep it warm while you dip your dates. One by one dip about 3/4 of the date into the chocolate. Place on a silpat sheet or a piece of waxed paper. If you have tempered your chocolate, they should firm up on their own, if the chocolate does not firm up, place them in the fridge to give them the chill they need. Once cooled I like to use small candy cups to set them in individually. Place on a platter and serve.

{ 13 comments }

Robyn October 2, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Oh Paula you won’t be disappointed by mixing all three ingredients together for this treat! Thank you for the photo compliments! My subjects really are demanding and I try to always get their best side!

Robyn October 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Heheh. You know that’s one of the reasons I love them so much! No one ever takes note of how many some one else is eating. That is unless they want them all for themselves. ;o) I’m glad you enjoyed them then, and hope you’ll make them for yourself and friends now! Oh and a box could just meander their way over sometime too!

Robyn October 2, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Barbara, these little bites are the most delicious dessert and are so different from the bacon wrapped dates, no one would complain of having dates twice in one sitting. Enjoy!

Robyn October 2, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Steal away! These little snacks are the best things ever! You’re welcome.

Paula October 2, 2010 at 10:08 am

Oh My! I love all three of the ingredients in this delicious looking treat. What a great gift idea! The photographs on your blog are truly beautiful!

Fuji Mama October 2, 2010 at 9:28 am

YUM. I know how good these are because I ate a couple of them (*ahem, not disclosing the true meaning of “a couple”*) at Camp Blogaway in May. If you are ever trying to bribe me, a box of these may just be the ticket!

Barbara | VinoLuciStyle October 2, 2010 at 9:27 am

I love dates and this looks, well, YUM! I have a favorite appetizer that is just a pecan in a date wrapped in bacon and either broiled or put on the grill. Think it too much if I were to serve both for friends tonight? πŸ™‚

Prerna@IndianSimmer October 2, 2010 at 8:32 am

What a great and interesting idea! I’m SO stealing it -)
Thanks for sharing!

SMITH BITES October 2, 2010 at 7:59 am

LOVE this Robyn! I have a similar recipe that I’ll be posting soon but alas, you have me beat – mine aren’t dipped in chocolate!

Robyn October 1, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Oh Mac, they are so good. You will love them!

Mac October 1, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Oh Lordy! Wonderful and healthy. πŸ™‚
Perfect for a special treat, and for holiday gatherings. Thanks for sharing. This will have to be made sooner than later!

Robyn October 1, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Lora, it is such a nice treat. I’m sure you’ll love it. It really does have the candy bar taste without all the bad stuff. Enjoy!

Lora @cakeduchess October 1, 2010 at 7:19 pm

That is a great snack! Healthy and yummy! I will have to try this this weekend. πŸ˜‰

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: