My Life in France, Julia Child

by Robyn on September 8, 2009

Simple ingredients, wonderful possibilities

Simple ingredients, wonderful possibilities

I have just finished reading My Life in France, once again. The movie Julie and Julia has everyone talking once again about food. How to cook, how to eat, how to shop, where to shop, what to purchase, the topic is buzzing through the web like a bee heading back to the hive.

One reason I chose to read the book again, was that the movie got me wondering. Was Paul’s tummy really so upset he had to take antacids continually? Was french food really that bad for everyone? I found my answer in the book. It is a definite no. French food is not bad for you. Paul Child suffered from amoebic dysentery he contracted during the war. He did see a doctor in France who diagnosed the problem and he and Julia went on a strict diet to get rid of the germ. After a few months of following a doctors recommendation, he was pronounced well. He and Julia resumed eating all the french food she prepared.

It is curious to me that the movie implies that he was not healthy due to the food. I know they did, because in one scene they also showed Julie’s husband taking antacids also. The inferred reference is maddening. Julia Child stated on more than one occasion that they did watch their diets, avoided carbohydrates and got plenty of exercise.

What she found disconcerting was, upon returning to the states, that we’d become a nation of prepared foods consumers. We no longer cooked. Everything was frozen or boxed and “whipped up in minutes for conveniences’ sake. Ugh. The masses embraced instant meals.

Even now with all the information on how bad prepared foods are, many people still find it too demanding to cook for themselves. The internet has given us numerous portals for recipes and meal planning. Still we ask for someone to do it for us. We don’t want to think, it seems. I came across a blog post today with a mommy blogger asking someone, anyone to write a blog on how to eat. All I can say is it isn’t a blog, but it is worth reading. It’s called Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Julia and company will give you all wish for: flavors, seasonings, meats, poultry, game, eggs, breads, baking, brasising and numerous other techniques that may just help you figure out “how to eat”.

{ 6 comments }

Scarehaircare September 18, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Found you again! Love the new look.

I saw the same blog post about asking for a blog on how to eat. I was already taught that by my sweet grandmother. Grow food. Eat food. Whole food. Fresh food. Okay, I am sounding a little Seussical here. But isn’t that really the point. Simple, fresh, and local. Julia Child took that concept and upped it quite a few notches with her cooking.

CookingSchoolConfidential.com September 18, 2009 at 5:31 am

Ah, it’s the eggs that got me. Ever notice how beautiful they are? I get them from the farmer’s market partially for the taste (fresh is always, always tastier) and partially (just between you and me!) because the shells are so much prettier (yes, I’m the one who sorts through the pile looking for the pale blue, cream, speckled ones!).

In other words – love your picture.

Cheers!

Lias M September 10, 2009 at 3:45 am

What a beautiful, beautiful new place you have here. I absolutely love it.

s'mee September 9, 2009 at 3:01 pm

A timely post in my little sphere. It’s tying into a theme I keep seeing: Apathy.

We as a nation are apathetic towards pretty much everything. We would much rather have someone else do our cooking, yes, but also our thinking! (another post) I am constantly amazed at how many people I personally know and many others I don’t spend literally thousands of dollars to update and modernize their kitchens. They purchase state of the art appliances, the latest trends for counter tops, spot on lighting, and cushioned flooring, top of the line cook ware, beautiful canisters and counter-top items to impress the eye… and they “don’t cook”. The remodels are for $$$ sake alone.

Hooray for people who grab the pot by the handle and walk into the kitchen to make their own dinner!

Paul M September 8, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Movies never do the books justice. Awesome new blog by the way!

the1stdaughter September 8, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I love hearing the truth of things, I only wish it could translate onto the big screen, but truth doesn’t always sell I guess. Either way, I love the idea of cooking more at home and using local natural products. I just wish I had a little more energy to do it. Hopefully once the kids settle a bit and I do too, we can focus on this even more. I think I may have to add a book to my Christmas wish list…hint hint!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: